Roasted-Tomato and Eggplant Soup
Original recipe from Martha Stewart
This is some amazing soup. Usually I hate tomato soup, but I had a feeling this one would be different. With roasted carrots, tons of garlic, eggplant, chickpeas, and curry, this is not Campbell’s.
- 3 pounds plum tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
- ½ pound carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 ½ pounds eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 can (15 ½ ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with racks on top and bottom.
2. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together tomatoes, carrots, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer, with tomatoes cut sides down.
3. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss together eggplant, chickpeas, curry powder, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer.
4. Place both sheets in oven (tomato mixture on top rack). Roast until tender, tossing mixtures halfway through, about 45 minutes.
5. Using tongs, peel off and discard tomato skins. Puree tomato mixture (including juices) in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large pot. Stir in eggplant mixture; thin with 3 to 4 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, sprinkled with cilantro.
♫ Music Pairing: Drake feat. Lil Wayne – Miss Me
This is super good anyway, but talking about wanting to marry Nicki Minaj elevates it to a new level in my book.