Vegetable Couscous Paella
Original recipe from Bon Appétit
This dish is spicy and full of wonderful flavor. Totally worth the price of the saffron and we had tons of leftovers.
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 10 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup drained canned garbanzo beans
- ½ cup chopped peeled carrot
- ¼ teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups (about 9 1/2 ounces) couscous
- 6 canned artichoke hearts, quartered (optional)
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and chopped bell peppers; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and paprika and sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients (through cayenne). Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 5 minutes to blend flavors. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Mix couscous into vegetable mixture. Cover and simmer 1 minute. Remove pot from heat. Let stand covered 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork. Let paella stand covered 5 minutes longer; fluff with fork again. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Arrange artichoke heart and lemon wedges atop paella. Sprinkle parsley over and serve.
♫ Music Pairing: The Aislers Set – I’ve Been Mistreated
My favorite indie supergroup.